6th and L Street, NW Mixed-Use Development

GeoCapitol provided geotechnical engineering design services for the development of a 3-story, 40-unit apartment building with ground floor retail and a basement.  The project would incorporate the historic James Essex House, built in 1855, which will be rehabilitated to house three units. Subsurface conditions were investigated by drilling two test borings in the building area. In addition, three test pits were excavated along the south wall of the adjacent building.

In order to conduct the soil test borings, a permit had to be obtained from the District of Columbia, and the drilling spoils had to be characterized and disposed of in accordance with District of Columbia requirements. GeoCapitol’s recommendations included foundation options for the new building and earthwork considerations. Also, the test pits were used to identify the adjacent building’s foundation so that excavation support recommendations could be provided.